How to apply
Applying to a university in itself isn’t easy, and studying abroad requires even more preparation. Which documents do you need? Which programme is best suited to you? Do you have the necessary qualifications, prerequisites (e.g. language skills) and grades? That is why we have structured the application into five steps to guide you through the process.
1+ years: Get informed
- Where are you from (EU/non-EU)? German is the teaching language for most of the programmes at FAU. That is why you will generally be required to provide proof of sufficient German language skills.
- There are, however, a number of master programmes that are taught exclusively in English.
- You do not yet have sufficient German skills to study? You may be able to take a preparatory German language class at FAU (you will, however, already need to be at A2 level).
1 year: Check requirements
- Are you interested in one of FAU’s programmes? You will need a university entrance qualification. Depending on the country you are from, you may need to study in your home country for a few semesters.
- You’re not sure whether you have the correct university entrance qualification? Contact our students advisory team to find out.
11 months: Apply
- Plan for enough time for your application: Find out about important semester dates, processing times and application deadlines.
- Also check any additional requirements about authentication and certified translations of documents.
9-6 months: Prepare
- One of the most important first steps after applying is organising a visa/residence permit.
- Make sure to account for the fact that these documents can take up to six months to process.
- You will also need to clarify what else you need.
- Do you need health insurance?
- Do you want to open a bank account?
3+ months: Enroll
- Which documents do you need to submit in person?
- What do you need to know about official certifications and translations?
- Our student advisors will be happy to provide you with help and support with any issues you might have.
What we expect of you
We offer our students the best prerequisites to fulfil their potential. From excellent infrastructure and tools, to highly innovative and pioneering partners, to staff. As such, we are looking for students who are motivated and inquisitive. That means you are self-reliant and autonomous, able to thrive under the relative freedom of a classic university framework. With our interdisciplinary approach, we offer the perfect surroundings for those who are naturally curious and eager to learn.
What you can expect of us
In turn, you can expect outstanding teaching staff and state-of-the-art facilities to enable you to unleash your potential. You will benefit from an abundance of opportunity offered by such a well-connected and innovative further education institution. We are family! Join our global FAU community with a wealth of knowledge and a comprehensive network of teaching, research, and partnerships.